At Easington Primary Academy, we understand that a high quality Mathematics education introduces children to concepts, skills and thinking strategies that are essential in everyday life and support learning across the curriculum. The language of mathematics is international and the basic skills of mathematics are vital for the life opportunities of our children. Our aim is to follow a mastery approach to teaching to promote fluency, develop reasoning and secure problem solving skills.
At Easington Primary Academy, our Mathematics Curriculum follows the White Rose scheme of learning, but is also tailored to our children and their needs to ensure that every child can achieve excellence in mathematics. Children can experience a sense of awe and wonder as they solve a problem for the first time, discover different solutions and make links between different areas of mathematics. It provides pupils with a deep understanding of the subject through a concrete, pictorial and abstract approach. This ensures pupils fully understand what they are learning.
Key features of our Maths Curriculum:
- High expectations for every child: All our children have the opportunity to develop mastery through a wide range of learning opportunities.
- To foster positive attitudes: children develop a ‘can do’ attitude surrounded in fascination and excitement of discovery through the teaching and learning of mathematical concepts.
- Number sense and place value come first: we ensure that all children have access to their age related learning and that the whole curriculum is used to develop and promote Mathematical skill.
- Resources to support: Concrete and pictorial resources are used to help children develop a strong foundation of concrete experience, which then allows them to think in the abstract.
- Mathematical thinking and problem solving is central.
- Being able to calculate with confidence and having an understanding of why it works.
- Opportunities for both independent and collaborative learning.
- Multitude of opportunities for mathematics throughout the curriculum: We broaden children’s knowledge and understanding of how mathematics is used in the wider world by making rich and varied real life connections.
- Through our maths vision, we are passionate and fully committed to developing a balance between the children’s procedural fluency and a conceptual understanding.
White Rose Maths
White Rose Maths is a scheme for learning that provides maths resources for pupils of all ages, from early years to secondary school. The Schemes of Learning (SOL) outline yearly frameworks that break down what children need to learn during each week of each term to master the learning objectives laid out by the National Curriculum. Resources and lessons that follow the White Rose Maths frameworks are designed to be enjoyable, engaging and varied, to help pupils develop a love of learning and work towards mastery.
We use TT Rockstars to develop our basic time tables skills. We encourage children to use this within school time but also outside of school as part of their homework.
Maths in EYFS
Our EYFS Maths curriculum is based on the White Rose scheme that works towards the Early Learning Goals whilst also being grounded with mathematical thinking and talk. Key mathematical ideas and concepts are revisited and developed further, thus supporting the children’s smooth transition into Year 1 and beyond.